Saturday, September 15, 2012

Seasons 9/15/12


Ecclesiastes 3: 1 “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens”

Autumn is coming to my garden.  Leaves are turning their colors; the herbs look tired after a summer well done.  The first cold front of the year came through this week and while it wasn’t a frosty one, the fading blossoms and last vegetables seemed to understand their time is growing short.

As usual in the garden I begin with one task in mind but soon become distracted by another, then another.  In the office throughout the week this is a bane, but here in the garden it’s OK to drift pleasantly from one plant or space to another.  It’s my peace.

I cut back the overgrown chaste tree (Vitex, truly a shrub seeking a higher glory) and trim off its seeding flower spikes.  I reach up into the crepe myrtle to pull down globs of Spanish moss (Tillandsia), noticing that a gentle tug is more effective than an all-out yank.  The roses whisper softly “dead-head please,” so I tend to them with joy, their fading fragrance mingled with nearby rosemary’s sensual scent.

I love the garden!  At the start of each season there are tasks of preparation: mulching and fertilizing in the spring; planting and watering in summer; pruning and clearing in fall; protecting plants and replanting bulbs in winter.  Each season has its unique glory—its own fullness and satisfaction.

My life is the same.  Each season is upon me before I know it.  But as I come to realize that a new season has begun I have choices to make.  Will I resist what is happening?  Is this a season of overcoming, a time of struggle?  A season of peace, or joy?  Once I recognize what’s happening I’m able to tend to the time at hand, knowing that this too shall pass and something new will take its place.   (Revelation 21:4)

The pruned myrtles lift their shortened branches, grateful to be free from the weight of the moss.  Trimmed rose shrubs sigh in pleasure, cleared of dead heads and ready for one more round of blooms.  Dead limbs removed from tomato and pepper plants reveal the final crop of summer, ready for the table in a few weeks.

Winter is still a season away and fall is one of my favorite times.  A time of peace and satisfaction.

1 comment:

  1. What a pleasant surprise to learn that you've created this blog. I look forward to reading your posts. My garden too, is winding down. I picked two minature yellow bell peppers yesterday. I have a few green tomatoes left on vines but I fear the cooler weather may take its toll. Maybe we can have fried green tomatoes. :) My garden space is very limited because of the vast number of tall trees that surround our home.

    Again, I look forward to reading more.

    Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete