Saturday, September 22, 2012


Holy Gardening

Sometimes I slow my life right on down to a stop.  And just sit.  Still.  Taking time to observe and experience “all the little things” that make life GOOD.  (Can you believe that someone has made a lot of money just by saying “Life is Good”?)

Good like soft shoulder snuggles from my lovebird, Tuni.  My honeybunch husband bringing me a cool drink while I’m sitting on the gazebo watching the yard grow.  The hundred sounds of backyard birds during their evening rituals.  The sound of the moon slipping through the tall trees.  Silhouettes and symphonies.

God must truly be the lover of our soul!  He surrounds us with goodness so plentifully woven into the everyday that we miss most of it while we’re busy living life.  That’s why a garden is so important.  A gardener has to move deliberately, purposefully and thoughtfully, tending to each stem, branch, blossom or root.  Silent structure exchanged for serenity.

A righteous life is like silent structure.  We move through our days deliberately choosing to follow a holy God.  We ask His Holy Spirit to carefully prune away our unholy elements, to tend to our transgressions with His holy tools.  Soon God will bring forth its harvest:

In that day— He tells us to
“Sing about a fruitful vineyard: I, the Lord, watch over it; I water it continually.  I guard it day and night so that no one may harm it.  I am not angry.  If only there were briers and thorns confronting me!  I would march against them in battle; I would set them all on fire.

Or else let them come to me for refuge; let them make peace with me, yes, let them make peace with me.  In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill all the world with fruit."  (Isaiah 27: 2-6, NIV)


Ahhhh!  That’s GOOD.


No comments:

Post a Comment